08 Mar Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Posted at 13:20h in Recipes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for soufflé dish
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, picked over and cleaned
- 3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk, room temperature
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1-quart, 5 1/2-inch-diameter soufflé dish. Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter into the soufflé dish. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons brown sugar over butter. Scatter 1 cup blueberries over sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, and the egg. Whisk the milk into the egg mixture. Add flour mixture; whisk until batter is smooth.
- Pour half the batter into soufflé dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup blueberries over batter. Spread remaining batter over blueberries. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean of batter, about 45 minutes. Immediately unmold cake, inverting it onto a serving dish. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe modified from: marthastewart.com